Thousands of years of happy reign be thine; Rule on, my lord, till what are pebbles now By age united to mighty rocks shall grow Who's venerable sides the moss doth line.
Japan is a country with a newborn democracy compared with the United States of America. Now a days Japan is a country that people can vote for candidates to rule them or to represent them in the parliament. The highest political power in Japan is the prime minister which is elected by the people. The prime minister must command a parliamentary majority therefore, following legislative elections, the leader of the majority party or leader of a majority coalition in the House of Representatives usually becomes prime minister. The prime minister well later on appoints a cabinet which will have the second highest political authority in the country. Of course the emperor is the chief of state but he carries no political power as his name implies.
Japan is located in Eastern Asia, island chain between the North Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan, east of the Korean Peninsula. This is located in Asia of course. Japan is one of the largest country with a huge population, there is a hue amount of water and land in Japan and it is big enough, but the population is even bigger, the total water area in Japan is 3,091 sq. km, and the land area covers up to 374,744 sq. km, which makes the total of the land and water up to 377,835 sq. km, and these include all of the Japanese islands: Bonin Islands, Daito-shoto, Minami-jima, Okino-tori-shima, Ryukyu Islands, and Volcano Islands. In Japan the weather climate varies from tropical in south to cool temperate in north and it changes from time to time. The lowest point there is Hachiro-gata which is -4 m, and the highest point is Mount Fuji 3,776 m.
Japan as a developed and rich country does not have many natural resources because it depends mainly on technology and other that deals with working and finding but not naturally which is born within the earth crust. Japan as few natural resources which are negligible mineral resources that they have little use of, and fish which the Japanese are professional on fishing, Japan also has some "lignite" which is a soft, brownish-black coal in which the alteration of vegetable matter has proceeded further than in peat but not as far as in bituminous coal. And they also have one more natural resource that helps them with their gardening, and agriculture, which is fertile soil, which also helps them grow their crops and vegetables, since most of them do that.
Japan has a population of 127,214,499 (July 2003 est.) and a population growth rate of 0.11% (2003 EST.). The birth rate is 9.61 births/1,000 populations (2003 est.) and the death rate is 8.55 deaths/1,000 populations (2003 EST.). The population sex ratio of males to females is 96:100. The number of people infected with HIV/AIDS is 12,000, and 430 people have died from it. The Japanese culture is very traditional but it is becoming more and more modernized. Religion also plays a role in Japan, many people still believe that suicide is an honorable way to die. Family also plays a major part in Japan, it is in between the US and Islamic countries, people are fairly independent but more bonded together.
The main language in Japan is the Japanese language. The ethnic groups in Japan are Japanese that form 99% (2000), and Korean that form 1% (2000) they are a minority in Japan so they have little effect but still play a role. The principal religious faiths of Japan are Shinto, a polytheistic religion based on ancestor and nature worship and Buddhism; they both form 86% of the population. Polytheistic religion is a faith in which a person believes in more than one god. Christianity-represented in Japan by the Protestant, Roman Catholic, and Greek Orthodox faiths-is practiced by about 4 % of the population. There other religions in Japan that form 10% of the population are of classified as Ďotherí, meaning atheist or of another religion unlisted above.
The Japanese Army includes the Ground Self Defense Force (Army), Maritime Self Defense Force (Navy), Air Self Defense Force (Air), and the Coast Guard. There 239,000 bodies available in the Japanese Self Defense Forces (Army of 148,200/ Navy of 44,400/ Air Force of 45,600). Japan spends approximately $39.52 billion on the military, which takes up about 1% of the total GDP. Japan could not invade North Korea, although it has the men for it. There lies the threat of Nuclear weapons that may but Japan entirely in crisis for a while. Japan could never risk the chance of invading North Korea. This explains why Japan not invades North Korea now, for North Korea has Japanese citizens in captivity. Japanís last War was World War II.
If China ever decides to invade Japan for any reason, Japan would not stand a chance in the face of the Chinese army. Look how enormous the Chinese army is. About 375 billion soldiers are available in the Chinese army. Thatís more than the total population of Japan! There are legal and political constraints that prevent Japan from participating in international military actions. These constraints were adopted straight after World War two. Meanwhile, Japan has been participating in noncombatant military actions worldwide. Japan has sent minesweepers to the Middle East after the 1990 Gulf War. It has also monitored a peace treaty signed in Cambodia in 1991. Furthermore, Japan has the potential to produce nuclear weapons, although it does not have any right now. Rumors say that The US Army has bee keeping nuclear weapons in Japan.
The economy plays a major role in Japan, Japanís GDP is $3.55 trillion, in comparison it is less than the United States GDP by 65.8%, its GDP per capita is $28,000 (2000 est.), and its GDP growth is -0.3 %( 2002 EST.), this number is decreasing though because of Japans recent economic decisions, so Japan is doing badly lately, yet it is one of the largest economies in the world. The labor force is 67.7 million (Dec. 2001) of that services is 70%, industry is 25%; agriculture is 5% (2002 EST.). The unemployment rate is 7.4%. Japans industries are among world's largest and technologically advanced producers of motor vehicles, electronic equipment, machine tools, steel and nonferrous metals, ships, chemicals; textiles, processed foods. Japan taxes investment and thus encourages savings, as opposed to the US, which is another reason why the Japanese economy is doing badly.
Japan exports $383.8 billion f.o.b. (2002 est.) worth of commodities which include motor vehicles, semiconductors, office machinery, chemicals, its export partners are US 28.5%, China 9.6%, South Korea 6.9%, Taiwan 6.3%, Hong Kong 6.1% (2002). Japan imports $292.1 billion f.o.b. (2002 est.) worth of commodities which also include machinery and equipment, fuels, foodstuffs, chemicals, textiles, raw materials (2001), and its import partners are US 18.3%, China 17.1%, South Korea 4.6%, Indonesia 4.2%, Australia 4.2%, Taiwan 4.0% (2002 est.). The currency in Japan is the Japanese Yen.
Views on World Problems
There are three main conflicts that are seriously troubling Japan; The threat of nuclear bombs, the threat of missiles, and the abduction of Japanese citizens by North Korean agents. As it has been reported, North Korea has been having nuclear testing that aroused the attention of every nation worldwide since it imposes a threat on its neighboring countries, and that it has violated the Non Proliferation Treaty that it had signed in the past. There is also the issue of the abduction of Japanese citizens. Japan believes that North Korea is abducting Japanese citizens is to make them work as tutors for North Korean spies, teaching them the Japanese culture and language. Lastly, it has been reported that a number of missiles from North Korea had fallen into Japanese territories. This imposes a great threat on Japanese city, for one day it may be used to destroy Tokyo city, the biggest city in the world!
All in all, there are agreements that are being undergone between the Japanese government and North Korea. The Pyongyang Declaration, signed in September 17th, 2002, is a deed that exchanges the large economic support to North Korea in exchange of a resolution of the nuclear, abduction, and missile problems. Japanís economic partners are the United States, China, South Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia, Australia, and Hong Kong. Japan has many allies, but few enemies. On of many allies is the United States which Japan Trades with it the most compared to other countries. Also, there is China, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Indonesia who are significant trade partners of Japan. North Korea is the main enemy of Japan, for it has abducted some of its citizens, has threatened its shores with missiles, and has recently threatened Japan, along will other neighboring countries of nuclear weapons.
Japanís relations with the United States have improved significantly around the years. Letís look back in the past were the United States has bombed Japan with the atomic bomb that put Japan in crisis for many years. Look at them now, strong economic partners, and the worldís most advanced countries. Certainly, the relations of the United States and Japan are quite strong.
While ASEAN countries were severely affected by the currency and economic crisis in 1997, they have recovered from the crisis to demonstrate a steady economic recovery with the active assistance of Japan. Japan, looking on ASEAN as a vital partner of the peace and prosperity in the East Asia, has been making every possible effort toward further development of cooperative relations with ASEAN. Japan traditionally concentrates its ODA (official development assistance) to ASEAN region, and recently put more focus on new ASEAN members (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam).
President Bush once said that what the world feared most was the fact that "Outlaw Regimes" sought to obtain and use weapons of mass destruction, including nuclear weapons. This is slightly different perspective in Asia. You cannot tell others to smoke cigarettes when you are smoking a thousand packs a day. Why should the United States continue nuclear weapons tests while telling others, including not only "outlaw regimes," but also some important allies such as South Korea and Japan, not to seek to possess nuclear weapons? This poses a big question among Japanese citizens and other Asians in the world.
Japan is a country that retains its time-honored culture and also absorbs the western technology and modifies it in a way in which it becomes better. Japan used to be one of the countries that focused on manufacturing military equipment in the beginning of the nineteenth century. It later on entered a war with the United States of America and tasted the odor of nuclear weapons which lead to Japan losing the war. After the war Japan recovered to become a great economic power and a staunch ally of the United States of America. After the war, the emperor lost his political power and instead of that he only retains his throne as a symbol of national unity.
Commission One: Disarmament: Hamad Al-Sager, Ambassador
Issue 1. The containment of the risk of nuclear proliferation in North Korea.
Japan is amazed on why North Korea violated the nuclear weapons treaty. North Korea, having put a great threat to all countries especially neighboring countries that have been experiencing past attacks, knows that eventually somebody will put an end to this conflict with or without the use of force. We nations of the world cannot deny that what happened to Iraq cannot happen to North Korea. Furthermore, the country itself has proclaimed that it itself possesses nuclear weapons which imposes a larger threat to all countries than the threat that was imposed by the former Iraqi government.
North Korea is making a good pace in the conflict since it is willing to hold peace talks with the United States. Japan hopes that this time it would result in a more conclusive matter than the last peace talk that was more inconclusive. Furthermore, Japan thinks that if an act of overthrowing the current regime of North Korea, as what was done to the Iraqi regime, would be a near end to this conflict. This is according to North Koreaís highest defector who said that the " regime, albeit it takes great pains to show us it is stable, is in fact profoundly unstable."
2. The trade-off between the trend of increasing military expenditure and development and the resultant effect on international peace.
In the case of increasing military expenditures, Japan thinks that some countries are really spending on its military much more for it that is needed to spend on. Japan would not like to specify particular countries; it would just like to point this case for a fact to put in our minds. Japan does not think that all military expenditures have to be reduced for all countries. It is just for countries that do not need it while looking at its current status.
Japan would like to point out that the growth of the country itself in these days is much more vital than ever before. More conflicts and changes are being at hand. It is difficult for a person to live in a country that is not that developed, for this country has not much of an income that could really hurt the country, more than if it was attacked.
3. Maintenance of international security: good neighborliness, stability and development in West Africa.
West Africa is a region of poverty and the spread of various diseases. It is also a region of terror and destruction. Of course more contributions to the sake of the region would enormously make a change but it will not make a stop to the conflict. In order to put this conflict aside, we must end this terror that has been undergone for many years now. If the United Nations, which is currently helping the region, imposes an urgent call of help to all countries, then, maybe, this call may be answered. True, that some diseases have no cure, but at least they have some sort of slowing down the reaction. It is also true that it costs a lot of money to perform these tasks. The United Nations alone cannot complete this mission alone unless the nations of the world help to lend in a hand. This goes for the whole world too.
Furthermore, Japan would like to put in mind that large deposits of gold were discovered in Gabon, West Africa that may help in paying for many actions for the sake of the region. Japan thinks that it is vital for the United Nations to claim these deposits for the sake of the people of West Africa.
Commission 2: Political/Decol: Saud Al-Subai
1. The role of UNRWA (United Nations Relief Work Agency for Palestine) and other relief agencies in the possible creation of a Palestinian state, and their role in current host refugee countries should the right to return not are established.
Japan believes in individual independence and the right for people to their countries and land as well as a home. There WAS a Palestinian state but it has been taken away from them and now they are without land, they are refugees. There are 143,562 families from West Bank, and 194,802 families from Gaza that are registered as refugees as of 30 June 2003 according to the UN statistics articles and the UNRWA. This is a very old and important issue in the world that springs up in the eyes of people every couple of months, through complicated workings and issues after the First World War Palestine was under control of Britain and it is rooted from that, according to the UN Article #22. Britain can not be blamed for this problem for it is old and done with, and because it is an old problem, Japan believes tit must be solved as soon as possible.
The age of the issue has sprung up many peopleís opinions and desires in solving it, organizations have formed such as the listed UNRWA, and the very prompt PLO which Japan thanks in its efforts in attempting to solve this conflict. Japan doesn't contribute any money to the UNRWA but is still grateful for its services. Japan is all for the revivification of the Palestinian state and giving the refugees their lands back and a home to live in.
2. The conflict between national sovereignty and the right of the international community to intervene in the domestic affairs of other countries.
Japan believes deeply in national sovereignty and it should be followed strictly, as independent countries every country has its right to its choices and actions as long as they do not harm other countries or people. In one condition and one condition only can the international community violate a countries national sovereignty, that in which the countries government is severely mistreating its people. If asked at any time date or place Japan would abide by this, as it actually helps people more than it harms them. Evidence of this is very obvious as blatantly it can be seen the in invasion of Iraq, the invasion of Afghanistan, and the invasion of Bosnia. All of them have been a result of bad government treating its people badly, and a larger force comes in and overthrows the government relieving the people of the suffering that they endured. This is the only justification in which Japan believes national sovereignty should be violated.
Japan is in favor of sustaining all national sovereignty and to have it violated under the above listed condition(s). The Declaration on the Right and Responsibility of Individuals which was passed on March 8th 1999 states this and gives full credibility to it. We affirm all decisions to help a country be intervening with its domestic affairs in order to help it overthrow a government that is mistreating them.
3. The division of Iraq and the possible establishment of political autonomy along religious and national lines.
Japan is highly aware of the problem of the issue and thinks that even though the religious groups and minority groups, especially the Kurds, are in conflict with each other that they should learn to live with each other. Carving up Iraq into smaller countries will not help progress. This will ultimately lead to a war between the neighboring countries. Japan thinks that Iraq should stay as a single nation undivided. Throughout history Iraq has show that its minority groups are seasonally at conflict. The best way to solve this is to unite them. Japan would like to thank the UNMOVIC for its efforts in resolving and clarifying the Iraq issue.
What proves that Japanís view on the issue is favored and that the issue IS prominent, referring to Security Council resolution 688 (1991) of 5 April 1991, in which the Council demanded an end to the repression of the Iraqi civilian population and insisted that Iraq should cooperate with humanitarian organizations and ensure that the human and political rights of all Iraqi citizens are respected. The fact that this issue was taken into the Security Council shows its importance. Also the fact that Human Rights resolution 1993/74 states that Iraq has used repressive policies and practices against the Kurds, a major minority group in Iraq, and these policies and practices have had a potent impact on the Iraqi people as a whole. With all this said and done, Japan believes with a proper government and ruler, and unification of Iraq the issue of minority conflicts will be solved.
Commission 3: Dheidan Al Shimmari, Legal
1. Measures to legally combat international terrorism and the growth of supra-national terrorist groups.
Japan has suffered from many terrorist acts since 1969 until 2002. Japan learned a lesson, a great lesson, that it wishes to share with other delegations which is that terrorist need to be fought or they will never cease. If delegations will not fight terrorists then terrorists will think that they carry the ultimate power and will begin to blackmail governments. Japan thinks that the delegations of the word must united with the United States of America an punch terrorist eyes until the last terrorist is removed from this planet and the planet only then will retain its piece. North Korea is country that walks towards terrorist acts. North Korea fired missiles to the cost of Japan many times and the only motive that kept Japan from going into war is its dream which is: that one day the world will lack wars will lack terrorist acts and humans will live without any fear of wars or terrorist acts.
The United Nations have formed Counter-Terrorism Committee (known by its acronym: the CTC), made up of all 15 members of the Security Council. The CTC monitors the implementation of resolution 1373 by all States and tries to increase the capability of States to fight terrorism. The CTC is an instrument to monitor the implementation of resolution 1373. The CTC is not a sanctions committee and does not have a list of terrorist organizations or individuals.
Sources: 1) http://www.terrorism.com 2) www.cnn.com
2. International regulations dealing with the use and misuse of genetic engineering and screening.
Japan is a country with a great history, and the Japanese people carry an infinite amount of pride. First of all Japan point of view on this issue is divided into two points. First of all Japan greatly condemns human cloning which presents a disgrace to the human race. Human cloning is considered to be a great misuse of genetic engineering and screening in Japanís point of view. In the other hand Japan welcome the idea of genetic engineering and screening concerning other situations like removing certain genes that will eventually lead to a loss in human life. Japan only welcomes the idea were genetic engendering and screening are used for noble reasons like stopping some very dangerous diseases to be inherited by newborn babies. Another reason, else than the Japanese great pride, that makes Japan condemns human cloning are the ethnic reasons. Japanese population consist of many religions and none of them tolerate human cloning.
The United Nations had many resolutions to ban human cloning. These resolutions were tackled by some delegations and were supported by other delegations. Still after many years of harsh debate the United Nations still do not have a law concerning human cloning.
Source for whatís mentioned above: 1)http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=8416;Cr1 2) http://www.1upinfo.com/encyclopedia/G/genet-sc.html 3) http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/ethics/issues/genetic_engineering/index.shtml
3. Defining and modifying the rights of prisoners of war and the scope of extradition law.
The United Nations already have a treaty concerning the prisoners of war. This treaty is the Geneva Convention, which was adopted in 1949. The Geneva Conventions is very well supported by the Japanese government although Japanís government doesnít believe in war.
Japan thinks that the prisoners of war should be respected and treated fairly. North Korea presented a great inverse of what Japan thinks; it used to execute prisoners of war showing to sign of mercy. Japan thinks that the prisoners of war should be provided with food, shelter and medical care if required and also condemns any country that torture prisoners of war. Japan thinks that prisoners of war should be granted clemency without questioning because jailing them is a great step that is stepping on the human rights.
Sources: 1) http://www.axpow.org/ 2) http://home.att.net/~merkki/
ECOSOC: Mohammed Ben Essa, Vice-Ambassador
1. the role of the UN, WHO, and other NGOs in clearly defining and implementing global strategies regarding the use of tobacco, bearing in mind any economic impacts of decisions taken.
Tobacco is very dangerous and it can collapse the countryís economy is they continue on using it, tobacco use is sensitive to the relationship of political, social, economic, and cultural differences, which a experience regardless of age, race, or country of origin. Sadly the Tobacco companies use controlling Tobacco advertising and promotions to tempt people especially women to start and continue use of Tobacco, according to www.inwat.org. There are many organizations out there like the UN, WHO, and the NGOs who are trying there best to reduce the amount of use of Tobacco.
Japan is one of the country that definitely do not support the use of Tobacco, even though most of its population smokes a lot, Tobacco is one of Japanís major import from the USA, Tobacco use (smoking) remains the number one cause of preventable disease and deaths world-wide according to www.globalhealth.org, Japan would certainly like to lower the use of Tobacco by using educational, clinical, and economical, these method by chance will help reduce the use of Tobacco world-wide. Japan is trying to discourage countries from importing Tobacco even though Japan does itself, but Japan is also trying to prevent its future generations to not learn about Tobacco, and to teach the harms of Tobacco so they wonít come near it.
2. The role of the United Nations system in supporting the efforts of African countries to achieve sustainable development.
The role of the United Nations system in supporting the efforts of the African countries to achieve sustainable development, there are many problems that the Africans are facing during the past years, some of the problems are internal and external conflicts, refugees and internally displaced peoples, food safety and security, and vast health crises including the HIV/AIDS epidemic all profoundly affect the African continentís development, according to http://fpeng.peopledaily.com. Japan thinks that if the UN helps the African countries toward development, one day African Countries will have to pay them back in a way, because what the UN is doing is not a gift, itís a push up start. Japan is always willing to develop even though it is now highly developed, would like to reach out for knowledge, and share with everybody its technological ideas. Japan would like each and every country to be developed, and especially the undeveloped countries, Japan suggests that it is really important to help other countries to develop, because developing is the key to success. Many Africans appreciate their commitment to promoting peace, democracy and respect for human rights, and to setting up transparent, accountable governance systems founded in law and capable of creating the conditions necessary for sustainable development. But Japan thinks that each and every country should be not only developed but developed with knowledge, and the United Nations should and must help these countries which are in need the most. And most of this was according to http://www.david-kilgour.com/secstate/afriacasustain.htm.
3. Strengthening the coordination of emergency humanitarian assistance of the United Nations.
Strengthening the coordination of emergency humanitarian assistance of the United Nations is one issue thatís must be solved, the United Nations must Strengthen is support to other countries which are getting destroyed daily, most countries are being affected with floods, earthquakes, and other natural disasters coupled with wars and diseases threaten the very existence of entire civilizations, the United Nations as the head should and must put an end on what happens next which is the consequence of the outbreak of these curse are indeed worrying: death, collapse of social structures, and economic destruction.
Japan is one of the countries that suffer from one of these issues, which is the most effective and that is the earthquakes, going back decades ago Japan really suffered from this issue, millions of people died yearly and thousand of building had been destroyed and rebuild again, soon Japan came up with a plan, and that is for the building they can tilt both sides depending on the flow the earthquakes, and so on. Japan suggests that every county whoís affected by this issue does the same or think of a new idea, because these problems mostly effect the economic situations which will lead to deaths, poverty, and famine, etc.Ö
Issue: The containment of the risk of nuclear proliferation in North Korea.
Submitted By: Japan
Submitted To: Disarmament
Student: Hamad Al-Sager
Defining, nuclear proliferation as "an act of obtaining nuclear weapons in a specific country,"
Noting that, according to US. defense official Gerry J. Gilmore, North Korea is also developing more powerful ballistic missiles Ė which could be used to carry nuclear, biological or chemical payloads,
Alarmed that, according to KCNAís English translation, the North Korean spokesman declared that North Korea was "successfully reprocessing more than 8,000 spent fuel rods at the final phase as we sent interim information to the US. and other countries concerned early in March after resuming our nuclear activities from December last year,"
Proclaiming that, according to Rebecca MacKinnon, CNN Tokyo Bureau Chief, North Korea has already sent signals through Chinese diplomats that if Japan or other countries raise the abduction issue at the Beijing talks that would hinder progress on the nuclear issue -- another North Korean threat which many here in Japan fear will be accommodated",
Asserts that, North Korea has directly stated that it has abducted 13 Japanese citizens whom 8 are allegedly believed dead from natural causes or suicide, and 5 are currently visiting Japan,
Condemning, North Korea for the development of Taepodong-2 missiles with a range of up to 6,000 kilometers, according to defense ministry analysts,
Further Asserting, that the longest range missile currently deployed by North Korea is the No Dong missile, with an estimated range of 1,300 kilometers for a payload of about 700 kg which could be used to carry Nuclear Warheads and could be targeted all over Japan, South Korea, and other parts of neighboring countries,
Affirms that, having nuclear weapons in the hands of Kim Jong Il is a national threat to North Korea, along with chemical and biological weapons too whom puts North Korea in deep trouble,
Draws to attention, that Japan may be compelled to the development of nuclear weapons for self defense if North Korea continues to not dismantle its nuclear weapons program,
Comments that, according to WARREN P. STROBEL and MICHAEL ZIELENZIGER from, Knight Ridder Newspapers, the United States, with the coalition of Japan and S. Korea, agreed to supply fuel and oil and help North Korea construct light-water nuclear power reactors that posed less of a proliferation risk in return that North Korea abides with the Agreed Framework of 1994,
Taking into consideration, that the US. has put some obligations in hand while signing the mutual defense treaty with Japan such as having forces stationed in Japan for its own security, and securing trade links that may threaten World Peace, etc.Ö,
1. Calls, for the establishment of an extensive joint military force in Japan that will: A) Will be trained in the case of a nuclear attack, B) Help in securing the trade links between North Korea and its neighboring countries, making sure that the sanctions imposed upon North Korea ARE being implemented and make sure that North Korea is not receiving supplies that may help in the production of missiles and nuclear weapons, C) Will be located in mostly the closest countries of North Korea, concentrating in Japan and South Korea, D) They will consist of Japanese, South Korea, and American soldiers, E) The name will be: The East Asia Peace Force, F) This peace force will basically support refugees from North Korea if North Korea falls apart;
2. Further calls, for a non-aggression treaty to be signed and ratified by North Korea and the United States of America that: A) Guarantees that the United States of America will not attack North Korea if and only if it dismantles its entire Nuclear program, B) Guarantees that North Korea will not in any way use any kind of force in or at Japan; C) Guarantees that North Korea and the US. will not sell out Japan which will call for experts in nuclear technology to observe the dismantling of the nuclear program which will insure that the process is being completed;
3. Draws Attention to, the necessity of deploying an immediate missile defense system A) The missile defense system will be located all around the neighboring countries, B) The US. will be in charge of this defense system, for it has the expertise in this matter, C) The defense system, in any way, will not be used as a tool of attack if North Korea does not attack;
4. Further calls for, North Koreaís certifiable nuclear disarmament A) North Korea is to dismantle its nuclear program, B) North Korea is to allow inspectors in after it abides to the request above, C) If North Korea does comply to this request then it will receive incentives such as : I) Fuel, II),Help in the construction of light-water nuclear power reactors that pose less of a proliferation risk, III) Economic aid, IV) The lifting of sanctions;
5. Asks For the return of the Japanese abductees from North Korea.
Submitted by Japan
Delegate: Saud Al Subaie
Issue: The conflict between national sovereignty and the right of the international community to intervene in the domestic affairs of other countries.
Defining sovereignty as "the freedom and authority of a country to do as it wishes,"
Defining international community as countries that are members of the United Nations,
Noting that no country should ever be intervened with unless there is a justifiable cause for it such as in Bosnia, Iraq, and Afghanistan,
Stating that a justifiable cause is one that if fought for will result in more good than bad, such as removal a dictator, reinforcement of a countries security, ect.
Acknowledging that many countries have had their sovereignty violated over minor issues without any justifiable cause to attempt and come to a mutual agreement with each other such as Japan, China, and North Korea,
Supports the United States for its attempts of stabilizing the situation in Iraq and other countries,
Fully aware of the temporary consequences an invasion of a country may have, the benefits of stabilizing the country have SOMETIMES proven to be worth the loss,
Appreciating the efforts of countries that have has their sovereignty violated and have worked out a mutual agreement with each other,
Alarmed at the unresolved conflicts between countries with violated national sovereignty such as the Diaoyu Islands and Senkaku Islands,
Pointing out that previous organizations and groups have attempted to solve this issue and have failed such as the ICJ and WC,
Further Noting that the five super powers make perfect candidates are judges or jurors to decide what a country should do because of the fact that they are stable powerful countries that are literally THE SUPERPOWERS in the world,
Acknowledging the work of economist Edward Coase, who proved that two parties, if they reason together can find an effect solution to a problem caused by the external negative of one party upon another (EXTERNALITY) more efficiently than if there is outside intervention,
1) Urges countries that have had their national sovereignty violated to hold a meeting with the violator to work out a mutual agreement with the them in which both sides will agree to the requirements;
2) Calls forth the formation of United Nations Security Council Group for Conflict Resolution (UNSCGCR) which will act as a form of the Security Council, A) Its headquarters will be in assigned when this resolution is passed, B) Its chairs will be the five super powers, C) It will include an admission staff of: I) Secretaries, II) Historians, III) Political analysts, IV) Regional relations experts, V) Other necessary experts required to gather information and provide sufficient evidence to t the chairs;
3) Clarifies that any country with an issue of violated national Sovereignty to inform the UNSCGCR of the issue and who the persecutor is, and then the UNSCGCR will: A) Research the issue and view all sides of it, B) Call upon the countries involved with the issue to attend a meeting to resolve the problem;
4) Proclaiming the aims of the meeting shall be: A) The two sides of the issue, persecutor and victim, shall come to an agreement between themselves, I) If needed this agreement will be made with the aid of the chairs taking into account the given evidence and presented cases from both sides, II) The chairs shall not enforce an agreement, only aid the two sides to the coming on and agreement, B) The chairs shall not have a biased opinion, choice, or vote in the matter as they are performing as fair and honest judges to the two sides, C) No misleading, biasing, or stalling evidence or opinion shall be presented that would cause the chairs to favor a side over another unfairly, D) The two sides, prior to the meeting, will, in writing agree to follow whatsoever solution is found;
5) Further Clarifying that if a conflict arises in a country that requires the intervention of its domestic affairs the UNSCGCR will hold a meeting in which the countries involved will attend, the aims of this meeting will be: A) Find a solution to the conflict that the country can apply without intervening with the country, B) If no solution can be found without intervening, the solution that does intervene with the country should have the least consequences on the country, C) Once a solution is decided upon it will be stated in the form of a resolution, presented and debated, if failed it will be modified to which it can be passed.
Commission Three: Legal
Issue: International regulations dealing with the use and misuse of genetic engineering and screening.
Student: Dheidan Al-Shammari
Alarmed by according to CBS new Scientists are calling for human cloning to be banned,
Keeping in Mind that the Clonaid organization claimed its cloning of a human being in early 2003,
Bearing in Mind according to the Wednesday Night news that most ethnic groups have only condemned the cloning of humans, not the whole genetic engineering and genetic screening because most moralities and religions do not interfere with genetic screening or engineering yet most of them interfere with human cloning,
Having Received according to Praful Desai, a noted cancer specialist, genetic engineering will increasingly replace the existing tools of surgery or high-dose radiation used in the treatment of cancer in the coming days,
Aware of that genetic screening is a way to make people feel better by replacing their current genes by other genes which will allow them to receive the trait in which they favour leading into population satisfaction and the reduction of hatred rate due to prospective of superiority and therefore reduction of crime, Japanís clear evidence on this is that everyone would like himself to be the way he like himself to be,
Noting Further that if cloning of humans is completely banned ethnic wars between two parties may be initiated, one part supporting cloning of humans and all other organisms and another party opposing human cloning and all other organisms,
Defining alliteration of the gene, is when the gene carrying a specific trait changes due to a mistake and therefore represents a new trait,1. Requests that the United nations will specify a percentage of its budget, determined by the general assembly, to support individuals or groups..etc that specialize in genetic engineering and genetic screening to: A. Research and work on finding new ways to cure genetically inherited diseases, B. Researching ways to prevent the passage of recessive and dominant traits which will lead into diseases, which may be fatal, and find ways to remove inherited diseases before being passed from the parent to offspringís, I. Recessive genes will also be worked on, to be removed because if both the parents carried an un showing trait due to its recessive nature, the probability that the offspring will carry two recessive genes leading into the disease will be 25%, II. Dominant genes must be worked on to be removed due to the fact that they will control and affect directly, noting that usually dominant harming traits are fatal, C. To research ways to cure diseases without getting involved in radiation and other painful cures yet instead using genetic engineering to cure diseases, I. This process can be by adding a bacteria phage or a virus ,which carries genes that do not exist in the humans DNA, to enter the human DNA and will prevent the harmful gene from functioning in a harmful way; this phenomenal is called epitasis, were one gene can affect the other gene, D. Working on discovering new diseases which are located on genes and determine if they are I. Sex linked traits or not sex linked II. The gene causing the disease a recessive trait or a dominant trait III. Ways to cure them and get rid of their negative affect E. Working on discovering ways which will prevent harmful gene alliteration and mutation which will cause diseases and working in ways to cure mutations and alliterations affects;
2. Further Requests the formation of a small group called The Bureau of Inspection on Genetic Issues, TBIGI, which will be compromised from genetic engineers which will inspect groups or individuals which are supported by the united nations, if the individual or a group did any of the sub clauses below he/they will be addressed consequences and lose their support by the united nations, the sanctions are: A. If they conceal some of their discoveries to retain reputation I. If any employee is responsible the whole group or the single individual will be affected, this sub clause will make individuals and groups more careful concerning their work, B. If the individuals or groups..etc does/do not perform enough research that satisfies the objectives and aims mentioned in all sub clauses in clause number, one, C. If the individuals or groups begin working on operations that will lead to genes causing diseases and harmful affects to both human kind and animals,]
3. Further Resolves that the delegation of Japan will donate an island of its precious islands, yet the island will remains under Japanese governing, and allow parties that support the idea of cloning and are attacked heavily in their own countries or are not allowed to clone on their own countries to build research centers on this Japanese Island and freely clone under some rules which are: A. That all cloned subjects cannot enter Japan without previous authorization from the government, B. That Japan wont allow any cloned subject to leave the island and depart to another country without the country of final destination previous authorization, C. If the research center produce any harmful subject and do not inform the United Nations with it and get rid of the harmful object , the research center will be addressed to the ICJ, D. All research centers and organization will be under inspection by the TBIGI, E. If any of the sub clauses in this clause are broken the research center or organization will be addressed to the ICJ I. No individual or group..etc granted a land on this island will have the right to conceal any information from the TBIGI, if information are concealed, the individual or group..etc will lose the right of cloning on the island and will be diverted to the ICJ,
4. Further invites that the United Nations will issue a great reward to the countries, individuals or groups, etc that projects a new way to cure genetically inherited diseases or any other disease using genetics;
5. Encourages that all capable nations donate money to the organizations and research centers which are supported by the United Nations so that they are reinforced even more which will shape their researches in a better way;
6. Have Resolved that this resolution will: A. Allow all the countries that are welling to ban cloning due to religion and moralities to remove the fear occupying them from facing ethnic wars between the two parties, one supporting cloning in all kinds and another one opposing, because this resolution will deal with this problem smartly, B. This resolution will support individuals or groups..etc.. to work on discovering remedies for diseases in all kinds which will help all of the countries of the world. C. Preventing the initiation of war between two well supported parties which carry opposing opinions concerning cloning, one party supports cloning and the other does not, so by allowing the party that support cloning to clone on the Japanese Island no ethnic wars will be initiated in the countries that prevent human cloning, D. Inherited diseases, and other diseases due to this resolution clauses and sub clauses will eventually decrease in the world
Name: Mohammed Benessa---Vice Ambassador
ISSUE: The role of the United Nations system in supporting the efforts of African countries to achieve sustainable development.
Defining Supporting as "To bear the weight of, especially from below" according to www.dictionary.com,
Defining Achieve as "To perform or carry out with success; accomplish" according to www.dictionary.com,
Defining Sustainable as "To keep in existence; maintain" according to www.dictionary.com,
Defining Development as "The act of developing" according to www.dictionary.com,
Bearing in mind that some African problems like poverty is preventing African countries to sustain development, these problems are leaving people to die and other to suffer, because without food not a single person can live, stated by this website http://www.mofa.go.jp/region/africa/pmv0101/pmspeech_s.html,
Realizing that settlement of on-going and prevention of future conflicts, strengthening democracy in African countries, will help Africa to sustain development and if not people will keep on dying and that African countries will suffer more and more with the amount of death increasing every day, which states up to twenty or more deaths a day, stated on http://www.codesria.org/Archives/Past%20events/declaration_on__africa.htm,
Taking into Account that China will do its part to help African countries achieve sustainable development and developed countries should also do so, China last year promised to relieve debts of heavily indebted African countries by up to 1.2 billion dollars in two years, http://fpeng.peopledaily.com.cn/200107/18/eng20010718_75266.html,
Recognizing that the problem faced by African countries since desalinization are numerous, internal and external conflicts, refugees and internally displaced peoples, food safety and security, and vast health crisis including the HIV/AIDS, which is causing many African citizens to die or suffer, and these problems are one of the main issues of keeping African countries under developed,
1. Draws the attention that assistance to African countries in the UN efforts to achieve sustainable development SHOULD become one of the priorities of the United Nations;
2. Calls upon the UN to funds programs under ECOSOC which are capable of playing an important role in monitoring and analyzing structural risk factors of conflict potential in Africa,
3. Encourages the UN to address the African problems in their broad agenda such issues as just distribution of resources, liquidation of discrimination, elimination of inequality in the situation of various groups of population, promotion of effective legal systems,
4. Further Recommends the UN to facilitate more effective implementation on comprehensive African programs which would combine, A) On the one hand; i. activities on demining, ii. surrender of small arms, iii. demobilization and reintegration of former combatants and, B) On the other, iv. strengthening national governance and democratic institutions, v. support of socio-economic reforms, vi. promotion of the rule of law;
5. Strongly Urges all the United Nations member states should support African countries by means of economical, political, humanitarian assistance, since they are the most in need of all the countries world-wide and that they cover one quarter of our world;
6. Requests that the UN should host the citizens of African countries to further develop intellectual capital and the creation of special training programs;
7. Reminds all the nationsí world-wide to prevent the internal and external conflicts and other armed struggles, which might be the cause of under developing countries which have continuous conflicts;
8. Urges the formation of a new organization which will be called African Human Resources Development Fund (AHRDF) which will establish financial contribution with the help of the international community to expend cooperation in human resource development in the African Countries;
9. Congratulates all the organizations (UNDP, NGOísÖetc.) which are contributing in order to help solve this problem, the AHRDF will help these organizations and will focus only on the African problems, and there would be Sub-Organizations if needed;
10. Further resolves that any additional un-stated action will be announced by the UN with the help of other organizations, and the AHRDF will take care and take action to help resolve the problem.
Hamad Al Sager, Commission One
Fellow delegates and respectable Chair, Konichiwa.
Let us go straight to the point. The world is being imposed by a new threat. NORTH KOREA. It threatens us nations by ballistic weapons on one side, and nuclear weapons on the other side. It has also Japanese citizens, not knowing what their status is. We gather here today, in this humble conference, to solve this issue and to stop this axis of evil to impose such threats. As Japan once suffered from its HOSTILE actions, it too will suffer. Let us resolve this issue as fast as possible before it stumbles upon us. Finally, Japan wishes you all a triumphant conference.
Saud Al Subai, Commission Two
Good day Ladies and gentlemen.
Japan would like to make the most out of a productive meeting today. Japan the land of orient and heritage, would like to bring up one thing that has been troubling our nation. National sovereignty,
It cannot be fooled around with, it is one of the things that define a country along with its freedom and security. Without respect for a countryís sovereignty, respect between the countries disappears and relationships decay, and what is the UN WITHOUT RESPECT? Sovereignty is sovereignty ladies and gentlemen, but at times sovereignty must be violated in order to maintain order, it can only be violated under conditions and justification, and this is not what is happening in the world ladies and gentlemen, Japan aims to fix this. Thank you.
Deidan, Commission Three
Greeting from Japan to all delegations,
Japan was once a country that only cared about military equipments yet later on faced a great defeat in the second world war. Japan prospective changed 180 degrees to contain manufacturing goods that will benefit the world and to develop its own technology in a way that it will aid the world. Due to these facts Japan contain many scientists which are involved in a variety of fields including genetic engineering. Japan had submitted a resolution that solves the issue of the use and misuse of genetic engineering due to the fact that this resolution will not ever violate national sovereignty and will supply everyone with their demand. Japan urges all the countries to vote for Japanís resolution, if it gets to be debated, in the sake of the recent and future
Mohammed Al Essa, ECOSOC
Honorable Chair, Fellow Delegates, and most distinguished guests. Japan would like to welcome all the delegates here today who are willing to participate to solve our issues. Africa was originally blessed with the richness of nature and with brilliant human resources. But Africa has suffered from the negative legacy of its past, and now continues to face a variety of problems, such as poverty, conflicts and infectious diseases. It would be unthinkable to talk about "the world of tomorrow" without considering sub-Saharan Africa, which contains one quarter of the world's nations. If it can overcome the difficulties it faces and open the way toward a bright future, Africa will probably become the driving force behind vivid development of human society. Indeed, "there will be no stability and prosperity in the world, unless the problems of Africa are resolved".
Since the independence of many African countries from FOREIGN rulers, Japan has been steadily increasing its involvement with Africa. With the start of the new century, I want to say again Japan's firm commitment to Africa, a land that holds the key to the future of humanity. Addressing the problems of Africa is one of the most important issues for our global foreign policy.
Japanese Ambassador: Hamad Al Sager
Truly, AMMUN was the most successful event I have ever endured inmy MUN career. I have became a mainsubmitter to a resolution that has passed with anoverwhelming majority. I have met with new people, and have succeeded in strengthening the relationship with my current friends. In the Disarmament comission, with chairs such as Hamad Al Essa and Manaf Aboshaker, I truly felt like a true diplomat. A true delegate in the United Nations. I truly believe that if my passed resolution was presented in the true United Nationís generalAssembly,I believe thatit would also pass. This is how excelent I believe my resolution is.Having a group such as a group that I already have is an honor. They have sent their work on time, did their work proffessionally, and had become main submitters to their resolution. Dhiedan, Saud, and Mohammed, Thankyou. Thankyou for being a group that did not trouble me, but made me proud. Thankyou Mohammed for being suchan excellent chaprone. And lastly, thankyou Dr.Dan for helping me succeed in whatI succeeded.Delegate
Dhiedan Al Shammari Speaking about my actions and achievments that I have done in AMMUN. Initially I was the most delegate to speak at the podium in my General assemble which was general assembly three. Every resoloution that I attacked failed and every resoloution that I supported passed which presents a great succes in my debates technique. Yet the BEST thing I have done in AMMUN was an action that made three directors, if not four, admire me for my intellegence. The move which impressed all the directors was that I spoke in time against yet I supported the resoloution. I started my speech saying that I urge all delegations to vote against this resolution then I moved into a era of complementing the resoloution and projecting the good parts about it. Before I end my speech I told the assembly that I urge all of them to cote against the resolution and mentioned befor I end that my ending parts were sinseless yet what was between them is pearls. When I received points of information I replied on them previewing that this resolution is good and contradicting myself which urged all nations to vote for the resolution. Directors applauded me for my act because I prevented countries from speaking against this resolution.I urged all countries to vote for this resoloution, using time against, inderectly.So I think that my achievments in the AMMUN were extraordinary.
Saud AlSubaie, As my first trip with the school I enjoyed this trip very much, everything about it was great and it could not have gone better, except about my resolution. At the event there were very little few skilled people so there was no competition for Canada (Khalid Shahroor) and myself to destroy or support any resolutions we felt that way about, basicly we dominated the field. One thing that I could applaude was the great ammount of orgnization that was presant at the event showed a that they put a large ammount of time and effort into preparing for this annual event. They made me, and I am preaty sure everyone els happy to be apart of the
Mohamad Beh Essa Ė Vice Amabssador Truly amman was the most successful trip I ever endured in my MUNcareer, in this event I became a main submitter for the issue of the development of the african countries, but after they debated it did not pass the ECOSOC because the ECOSOC at amman was really terrible and it was realy bad compared to the other commisions, this was the worst event in the matter of the assemblies but it was the most successful.